You will not want to miss this outstanding Outdoor Adventure from “Betty’s List” and the San Francisco Bay Times with The Blue Water Ventures and renown guide Kim Powell, Saturday September 26th, at Elkhorn Slough!
The day will begin with a Kayaking adventure in Elkhorn Slough National Marine Estuary. The protected water of the Slough is an ideal place to observe some of California’s finest coastal resources. Sea otters, harbor seals, sea lions and an array of birds can be seen at close range. The trip will begin with a quiet observation of sea otters that reside in North Moss Landing Harbor. With 90% of California’s wetlands loss to development, Elkhorn Slough offers a special opportunity to observe a biologically rich and critically endangered habitat. First time Kayakers are welcome and most abilities can be accommodated. The day will include a short hike to the beach to search for humpback whales that are often seen close to shore near Moss Landing during the summer months.
After a day on the water, you will caravan a short distance to the Whole Enchilada for an early dinner. Naturalist-led Kayaking trip and hike included; meal is on your own.
Plan on meeting at the Public Boat Launch Ramp in North Moss Landing Harbor just behind Monterey Bay Kayaks (2360 Hwy One) at: 10:30am on September 26th. Closed Deck Double Sea Kayaks are provided because they are very stable and easy to use. No previous Kayaking experience is necessary. You should be back at the launch area by 2:30pm. From there you will caravan over to enjoy an early dinner at the Whole Enchilada in Moss Landing.
* As far as things to bring, here are a few suggestions:
– Dress in layers — Fleece, capilene, silk or wool are good insulators; bring a warm top that can be put on if cool weather (fog) approaches; a sweatshirt is adequate.
– Long pants or shorts- sweat pants that can be rolled up work well; an outer shell of nylon material dries quickly, but jeans get soggy and are not recommended.
– Wind breaker or paddling jacket
– Footgear – tennis shoes, Teva type sandals or wet suit booties — any style is fine; they will get wet as you wade in to launch your boat.
– Hat with visor for sun protection
– Water bottle
– Lunch or snack in a compact lunch bag or ziploc–take in boat with you
– Sunscreen and lip balm
– Sun glasses (or prescription glasses) attached with a leash
– Binoculars and camera in waterproof bag ( use at your own risk); disposable cameras work well.
– Small, compact daypack (optional)
– Small bills to settle check at lunch
-Change of clothes to be left in car for time at restaurant
Looking for a place to stay in the Santa Cruz area ? Oceanfront accommodations and fine dining at the Dream Inn are recommended.
Cost for this amazing day on the water and beyond is $85 if post marked by August 20th and $95 if postmarked after August 21st.
That covers the logistics for Sea Otters By Kayak~Naturalist-Led Hike in Search of Whales: Elkhorn Slough with Betty’s List. Full refunds will be given if the trip is cancelled due to inclement weather ( high winds or rain; not light mist or fog). Release forms will be discussed and signed before launching the boats.